Sao Martinho do Porto, a small traditional Portuguese fishing town, sits on the edge of a spectacular bay and is protected from the Atlantic so is perfect for families & ideal for windsurfing & sailing.
The beach is considered to be one of the Top 10 in Portugal. The bay is surrounded by a wide range of cafes, bars & restaurants with amazing views.
There is a supermarket, shops & a regular fish & vegetable markets. This idyllic town has loads of character & much of the older historic parts still have cobbled streets.
There are 5 golf courses within a 15-20 min drive, including the Praia d'el Rey championship course - one of the best in Europe.
The drive up the coastline is simply stunning with wide white sandy beaches backed by pine trees for miles and miles.
- The walled medieval town of Obidos
- Island of Berlenga (with jagged coastline & bird sanctuary)
- The Monastery at Alcobaca
- Miles of stunning coastline backed by pine trees including one of Top 10 beaches on your doorstep
- Spectacular underground caves
- Top quality golf courses such as Praia del Rey
- 1 hour from Lisbon
What To See And Do
- Sao Martinho do Porto
Explore the cobbled streets & tiny houses in the old town, take a leisurely walk around the bay, vist the fruit, veg & fish market, walk to the coastal chapel or the lighthouse for good views of the coastline, bay & surrounding beaches, climb the sand dunes along the bay. In summer there are sailing regattas, music groups, beach gymnastics & football competitions. Sailing & diving lessons are also available. In June celebrate the festival of Saint Anthony.
- Pegadas dos Dinossaurios
The oldest and longest set of preserved dinosaur tracks found anywhere in the world! You can clearly see hundreds of footprints.
The country's capital whose highlights include the trams which wind through all the historic districts, the village of Alfama in the heart of the capital with its narrow streets, Castelo de Sao Jorge with dazzling city views, the monastery which houses the tomb of Vasco da Gama, Estadio da Luz football stadium and a night out in the funky neighbourhood of Bairro Alto, packed with vibrant bars, clubs & restaurants.
- Grutas de Mira de Aire
Daily tours explore the tunnels and caverns of the country's largest cave system comprising stalactites, stalagmites, bizarre rock formations and an underground lake. There is also an aquatic park (summer only).
- Island of Berlenga
- Tour the dramatic coastline of this dreamlike island by boat - a real get away from it all destination. Grottoes, miniature fjords and extraordinary rock formations. The sea is calm, crystal clear and perfect for snorkelling & diving. The island is a natural reserve only inhabited by a couple of dozen fishermen and thousands of sea birds including gulls, puffins and cormorants.
Perfectly preserved 13th century walled town with cobbled alleyways, whitewashed houses with bright blue and yellow borders and steep staircases winding up to castle ramparts with distant views. The annual summer festival runs from July to September with a ten-day medieval fair, opera at the castle, concerts & other events.
- Pinhal de Leiria
- One of the finest stretches of coastline in the country - beautiful beaches backed by miles of pine forests. An area of great natural beauty. There are bike lanes and tracks throughtout the whole area, while beyond the dunes lie vast white sand beaches.
- Oceanario de Lisboa
One of the biggest aquariums in Europe with mesmerising displays of sealife. Great for kids young or old and adults too!
- Budda Eden Garden of Peace
Set within the lush grounds of the famous Quinta dos Loridos wine estate. The garden itself occupies about 35 hectares. Over 6000 tons of marble and granite Buddhas, lanterns, terracotta soldiers and various oriental sculptures of all descriptions and sizes have been carefully placed amongst the natural vegetation. This green space with its large central lake is a place of peace and tranquility.